Direct Support Professional
1109 - FT 6304
Hours: Wednesday-Friday 8pm-8am, Saturday-Sunday 8pm-9am, Monday-Tuesday 10pm-7:30am (works 7 days on/7 days off)
Direct Support Professional employees support people with developmental disabilities in being independent in all areas of their lives and to become and remain involved in their community and to assist each person to achieve personal outcomes that reflect their dreams, hopes and desires. We learn about personal outcomes when we talk to people and learn what is important to them to provide individualized supports. Each employee is expected to be dependable and hard working, and will be rewarded by helping people learn and experience new things.
Essential Functions and Competencies:
- Developing others
- Demonstrate initiative
- Demonstrate teamwork
- Show personal accountability
- Demonstrate interpersonal understanding of mental illness
- Demonstrate perceptivity
- Show concern for others and co-workers
- exhibit SELF-CONTROL
- demonstrate SELF-CONFIDENCE
- Provide excellent COMMUNICATION
- demonstrate GENERAL ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Ensures the rights and privacy of people supported are understood and not violated or limited without due process
- Assist people with personal hygiene as needed in bathing, brushing teeth, etc.
- Administers and inventory medications according to Aspire, Inc.’s Medication Administration Policy.
- Attend all mandatory training and staff meetings and pass with the level of competency defined by ARSD.
- Ensures safety, care, welfare, and security of people supported. Responds to crisis situations appropriately, reporting incidents in a timely manner.
- Understands and follows Aspire Inc.’s Ethics/Standards of Conduct policy
- Has good attendance, uses leave appropriately, and is punctual for work.
- Creates a friendly, helpful environment for everyone to work in. Has a positive attitude and approach; leads a team approach with the agency.
- Intervenes with immediate medical, behavior or emergency situations. This may include agency approved physical intervention techniques, CPR, First Aid, etc.
- Demonstrates leadership through stewardship, ethics and caring
- Embodies the mission of the agency
- Treats all people supported, family members, and co-workers with respect and dignity
- Makes ethical decisions
- Serves as an on-call relief person when needed or assigned.
- Possesses knowledge of modern office equipment, methods and computer equipment as well as common office software, such as email, word processing, spreadsheets, and database.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s responsibilities and essential functions require the following physical demands:
- Standing (for extended periods of time)
- Lifting and/or carrying up to 50 pounds (may exceed 50 pounds during medical and safety emergency situation).
- Routinely works in a variety of settings inside or outside the home/workplace and throughout the community.
- Pushing, and/or pulling (i.e. wheelchairs, moving groceries/supplies, etc)
- Assist or transfer people served to and from their wheelchairs, beds, commodes, on to floor mats, bean bag chairs, on and off of a van, etc.
- Transfers and/or re-positioning people who are not able to move on their own, in a sitting or lying position.
- Some climbing and balancing (i.e. stairs, assisting people walking with gait belts, etc),
- Some bending, twisting, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity.
- May be exposed to infectious diseases, odors, dust, etc. throughout the day.
- Minimum of High School diploma or GED
- Must be at least 21 years of age(18 for some positions)
- Experience providing daily supports to people is preferred
- Basic fluency in oral and written English.
- Pass a qualifying criminal background check which includes motor vehicle reports.
- Licenses/Required Testing:
- A valid driver’s license and evidence of insurability is required upon hire. Must have a safe driving record and be insurable under our insurance. Employee must be able to successfully complete agency driver’s training course.
- Applicant must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test prior to employment. Employees are subject to testing per Aspire, Inc.’s Drug Free Workplace Policy.
- Employees must successfully complete all required agency training.